Welcome 2-R Family

Welcome 2-R Family

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Garage-O-Mama!


I can't believe that I forgot to post my fantastic accomplishment that was waking up early on a Saturday and dragging my child and husband to a community garage sale outside of Three Forks!  Two weekends ago Jake and I woke up, loaded Peyton in the car, and were one of the first families to arrive in Rolling Glen for a community-wide garage sale.  I of course had an agenda in place and knew exactly what I was going for (I'm sure all that know me well are totally SHOCKED by that...ha!) courtesy of a Craigslist ad.  We had a slight set back when I navigated us to the wrong house, but we eventually got to where we needed to be. 

Once we arrived at our (and by "our", I really mean my destination, but for sake of Jake and Peyton sticking it out, I will keep it to "our"), I scanned the goodies for what I was looking for.  Finally, the male owner of the house brought out a garbage bag full of items which he carefully began spreading across a toddler bed.  Low and behold there were my Disney movies that I had set my heart on for Peyton.  I rushed over to him and started loading up my arms with as many movies as they could hold all the while telling the man that he was just the person I was looking for and that I was going to clean out his Disney stash.  He looked at me with a meaningless, empty expression and then continued organizing the movies.  Feeling really foolish or just completely uninteresting, I grabbed the rest of the movies I wanted to purchase and hurried to a corner to pile them in a "sold" area. 

I then asked who I thought was the lady in charge if she knew where one other item was.  She said, "Oh honey, I'm not the owner of this house, she is," pointing to a lady standing next to her.  Then, she turned to make a public announcement to all that were present at the home saying, "And just so you all know, the couple who own this house are hard of hearing, so if you have a piece of paper and a pen or know sign language, that would be preferable."  And THEN I really felt foolish realizing that that meaningless, empty expression I received earlier from the man was a, "You crazy girl!  I can't understand a word you are saying!" look instead!!  YEESH!!  The good news is I walked out of the joint with 26 Disney Movies, a book and a vintage lamp for Peyton's soon to be vintage room and spent a whopping $8.10!  The bad news is my lack of navigation skills allowed another lucky garage saler to make out with the brand new Boppy pillow I was looking to purchase for my sister.  Oh well, the gain definitely outweighs the loss on this one! 

Just call me "Garage-O-Mama" (who will now be more conscientious of the hearing aids located behind people's lobes...). ;)

P.S.  Thank you to Jake for getting up and driving me out to Rolling Glen, even though we both felt like the crapper that morning for some reason.  And thank you Peyt for deciding to take your morning nap the entire time we were out, making it much easier for mommy to shop like crazy.  :)

3 comments:

  1. Awwwwwesome! I can totally relate; I went to the Potlatch community garage sale a couple weekends ago and happened upon a pretty-much-brand-new huge coach purse for $15... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelli I am totally JEALOUS of your garage sale find, yet am so proud at the same time! :)

    ReplyDelete